Friday, April 30, 2010

First Week

So today concluded my first full week of work at the Phoenix. To be honest, I still don't know how i feel about the job. As of now, I'm not as happy with it as I thought I would be... what a shame, right?
Things I don't like about this job:
-long commute to work; anywhere between 45 mins-2 hrs, ONE WAY, is what I've experienced so far.
-the traffic is just terrible. Absolutely terrible. I feel like it's taking a huge toll on the car too. I've noticed the breaks squeaking more and more.. worse and worse...louder and louder...
-I still don't understand/know how to do this job!
-long freaking days. I get there anytime between 8:45-9:30 and the earliest I will ever get to leave (unless with permission) is 6:00. But that's getting out on time. This past Tuesday, which is the busiest day because so many things go out to the printer, I was there until 8:45pm. And I got home at 10. Only to wake up at 6:45 the next morning, as I do every morning...
-It's a pretty big company and I don't know who people are. Everyone tells me to talk to so and so, or email so and so and I have no idea who that is, or what they do in the company so I don't know why it's important that I talk to them about certain issues.
-It's actually rather boring work. It's pretty much the same stuff all the time, just wicked confusing. I am so lost with everything that I do there. And it doesn't help that I am always so tired. It's so hard for me to concentrate on what I am doing or retain any of the information that these people are telling me.
-I get home, eat a late dinner, have just a little while to relax, and I'm in bed by 10 at the latest!

I just want to fast forward at least a month to see if my feelings change. I hope they do. This job seemed so cool from the outside! Something to do with my college degree, IN Boston, 2 blocks from Fenway Park nonetheless, and it's a salary job. I thought it would be exciting, and fun, or at the very least INTERESTING. But unfortunately it's not very interesting. At least not right now.
At lunch time today one of the girls in my department said she was going out with some other girls and I was welcome to join them. I needed to buy my own lunch anyways so I said sure! Great way to meet some new people and feel more comfortable.. So we go to this restaurant called The Elephant Walk. It's Cambodian and French cuisine, about a 10 min. walk from the office. We get there, tell the host we're there for the so and so party and he leads us to the back dining room where I find out that it's an informal little baby shower lunch for one of the women at the Phoenix. Talk about awkward....
Thankfully I already met this pregnant lady but other than the girls I came with, I didn't know anyone else and there were no introductions made. So I felt very out of place. Just before the lunch was served one of the girls asked from across the table who I was. I'm sure none of them had ever seen me before and were wondering who this random girl was...
So anyways, the lunch was served. The food was amazing. We ordered an appetizer of Cambodian spring rolls (so much better than the Chinese restaurants) and then I ordered a French meal for my entree. It was Poulet something. Don't even ask me the other 4 words in the title. But it was like a little salad (just lettuce but with amazing dressing on it) potatoes au gratin (aaamazing!) and a chicken breast/thigh combo. It seemed to be fried and then there was an amazing sauce over all of it. I gobbled it all up!
After presents were over, our time there had pretty much reached 2 hours since we left the office. ...OOPS! But I guess that's one of the good things about this job. They are really laid back about what you do with your time there as long as all the work is completed on time. I can surf the web any time I want, or take a long lunch if needed, or go out for a coffee anytime I want.
So anyways, I guess that's all I have to say about the job aspect of my life out here. This is a pretty long post, but since I don't get to talk to y'all about it in person I guess writing long-winded posts is the next best thing.
Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Over time your job will get more comfortable. You have A LOT of new information coming at you all at once. The long hrs are the nature of the business. As you get better and fast at what you do, your dealine days probably won't be so long. Hang in there, You can do this!!!

    ReplyDelete