Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Time is going by SO SLOW!

So I've been here at my new job for just over 2 months. Ridiculous. I moved out here and started this job in the middle of April and now it's the end of June. I feel like I've been out here for at LEAST 6 months if not more, but it's only been 2?! It makes me wonder why everyone says my wedding day will be here before I know it, because if this past 2 months have gone by so sluggishly, then how is this next YEAR going to go by?
But speaking of this year here are two things going on:
1) Now that we've FINALLY reached the year-until mark of The Big Day, (when I called Colin that morning to say good-morning he didn't answer the phone- the sweet melodies of Canon in D did! We're both super excited!) I am finally REALLY getting into the wedding planning. I've been narrowing down my search for dresses and bridal boutiques and will pick a date sometime this summer hopefully to start trying on gowns. I've started a registry at Crate and Barrel and looking into prices on honeymoons! (Bora Bora is still on the list!) I've got a wedding checklist that tells me when to start looking for and picking certain things about the wedding so, a big YAY to actually being able to act like I really am getting married!!
2) It's official; I can not stay at this job any longer than I had previously hoped to be. This job is not at ALL what I want to be doing the rest of my life, or for the rest of the year for that matter. So I've sent out a resume and cover letter to, surprise, surprise, the Department of Corrections. And before y'all freak out, no, it's not to be a corrections officer like my soon-to-be hubby. I applied for a personnel position in the HR department. So another office job, but most likely a lot LESS boring and a huge pay increase. The main reasons I can't stay at this job are: the 2-hr each way commute is a killer. literally. I spend nearly nearly $300 a month just on the cost of commuting every day. That $300 could go towards my dress! or invitations! or favors! Also, I simply just don't get paid enough. I know it's a big step up from working at Sears, but not by much. After taxes, health insurance and commuting are deducted from my paycheck, it's almost as if I just got a few dollars more an hour than what I was making at Sears. And the fact that I work more than 40 hours a week and don't get paid for it is another thing. But back to my paychecks.... If Colin and I are going to move in together when we're married, like most normal married couples do, then I can not stay here and that is the absolute main reason I need to look for a new job. I think even if I liked this job I couldn't stay for that exact reason. I simply just don't make enough money to live on my own, pay a rent/mortgage, bills, groceries and all sort of other living expenses that I don't pay now.
So I've applied to that one job! It's definitely not something I'm qualified for though, but then again, what job was that I applied to over the last year...
So anyways, I guess keep your ears and eyes open for any jobs I might be able to snag so I can move on to bigger and better things!

1 comment:

  1. Well sometimes you just have to make those kinds of decisions. It's too bad you can't find something that will use your artistic talents. Aunt Jen told me that Uncle Paul is still using some of the footage you shot during your internship.

    ReplyDelete